Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Book Raving: Hex Hall Series - Rachel Hawkins

Miss J has been after my life for the past one year.

"WOULD YOU PLEASE READ THESE SERIES?"

I never had any inclination to, what with being tired of similar sounding plots and traditional ships. Then it rained for two days straight and I finally fulfilled her dream.

I vented out on Goodreads thus:

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

I didn't know it was possible for so much of plot twist to happen in the last 30 pages or so. My poor heart.

And I stayed up till 2 am. That's not pleasant when I already had a splitting headache.

Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

See, this book (series) at first seems predictable. A witch with a confused magical identity shipped off to a school for bad behavour with faeries, werewolves, vampires, shapeshifters ... you name it. Enter a heartbreakingly hot guy with a bad reputation wielding sarcasm like a macho accessory and bam. There is now a recipe for a succesful print run. Insert a worthy soft spoken guy with a broody air and ta-da you have a love triangle. Wait, we forgot the villain and some evil organizations attempting to thwart the heroine. Nope, we have them. Season with some teenage angst.

But this book wasn't AT ALL predictable and I hated that my normally dependable sixth sense was off.

Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

NO MY POOR TORTURED HEART CANNOT TAKE THIS.
(Highlight to view spoiler) SOPHIE YOU BIG DEMONIC IDIOT YOU SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN CAL NOT THE TYPICAL PLAYER BAD BOY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR HEAD AND HAWKINS YOU CONVENIENTLY DISPOSED HIM I SHOULD KILL YOU

Death threats aside, failed love triangles aside, teen angst aside, there isn't much other than an okay ending.

I still feel the antagonist(s) were not scary enough. But this series works. Two rainy days well spent.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your graffiti here before you leave; this wall needs all the colour it can get. And check back, I always reply as promptly as the wifi allows me to. ;)